- Registration: 7:00am | Training: 8:00am – 5:30pm
- Presented by: Beth Goss, Joni Parthemer
- $525.00 per person
- This training is hosted by National Marriage Seminars of America
- 16 CE Hours (available through National Marriage Seminars of America for $29.99)
*Please note: This event is co-sponsored through The Gottman Institue and is not an individually hosted National Marriage Seminars event.*
Details & Registration
A Research-Based Approach 2-Day Seminar
Equips participants to independently teach pregnant and parenting couples to successfully prepare for the transition to parenthood.
Registration Fee: $525* (payment plans and student/military discounts available)
*Cost includes: Live Training | 300-page Clinical Manual | Gottman Bringing Baby Home Educator Materials | Gottman BBH Educator Certificate and Badge | Earn 16 CE hours available for purchase ($29.99)
Save $160 when you register for both the Gottman Seven Principles Program and the Bringing Baby Home Educator Trainings! Enter promo code “DISCOUNT” at checkout.
This training provides continuing education hours (CEs) for Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT), Psychotherapists, Psychologists, Social Workers and other mental health professionals.
Even the strongest relationships are strained during the transition to parenthood. Lack of sleep, never-ending housework, and new fiscal concerns can lead to profound stress and a decline in marital satisfaction – all of which affect baby’s care. Not surprisingly, 67% of new parents experience conflict, disappointment and hurt feelings.
Learn how to teach pregnant and parenting couples the skills to decreasing postpartum depression, relationship conflict, and hostility.
Our research-based Bringing Baby Home workshops prepare couples for life with a baby and help them be the best parenting team possible. In a relaxed and supportive environment, parents learn to strengthen their relationship and foster baby’s development during this challenging time. They build on what Dr. Gottman and colleagues found is the best predictor of marital adjustment after baby arrives: the quality of friendship in the marriage.
Learn how to teach pregnant and parenting couples the skills needed to encourage healthy, supportive family relationships.
THE TRAINING PROGRAM
This newly designed, research-based 2-day training equips participants to independently teach pregnant and parenting couples to successfully prepare for the transition to parenthood.
The BBH Training is a high-quality program that combines lecture, multi-media presentations, interactive exercises, and discussion. Dedicated trainers facilitate two days of research-based training, teaching participants how to use the materials, content, tools, and exercises. You will be equipped to teach the BBH workshop to parents immediately following the training.
The Bringing Baby Home Master Trainers will teach you the value and importance of the Bringing Baby Home Program, how to move through time together, the art of building love maps, importance of sharing fondness and admiration, the concept of turning towards and building an emotional bank account, maintaining the positive perspective, ritualizing the daily stress-reducing conversation, and the topic of flooding, self-soothing and taking breaks.
The Bringing Baby Home Master Trainers will teach you how to recognize the four warning signs of relationship meltdown, practice the four steps of constructive problem solving, recognize the importance of fathers, understand baby blues, postpartum mood disorders and other mental health issues, how to connect with your children, preserve intimacy and romance in your relationship, and create shared meaning, values and rituals of connection. To see a detailed workshop outline, click here.
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from this training:
This Gottman Educator Training is designed for professionals who work with expectant parents and families with young children. The following professionals have taken the Bringing Baby Home training program and became Gottman Educators:
- Childbirth educators and parent coaches
- Social workers
- Child and Family Therapists
- Birth and postpartum doulas
As a result of this training, you will learn how to teach couples to:
- Strengthen their relationship
- Effectively manage stress and conflict
- Recognize and respond to postpartum mood anxiety and adjustment issues and postpartum depression
- Meet the emotional and psychological needs of a child
- Keep both parents involved in parenting
As a result of this training, you will be able to:
- Present and facilitate couples’ small groups and classes at your church, hospital, community center, place of business, and/or home
- Teach pregnant and parenting couples the skills needed to encourage healthy, supportive family relationships while decreasing postpartum depression, relationship conflict, and hostility
- Independently teach and facilitate the 12 hour Bringing Baby Home Couples Workshop
- Independently teach and facilitate multiple authorized Sections of the Bringing Baby Home Couples Workshop
- Use the Gottman BBH Educator title and distinction
As a result of this training, you will receive:
- One Training Manual: Gottman Educator Training Manual, 300 pages. Developed and written by Drs. John and Julie Gottman and Master BBH Trainers, it includes all the teaching tools, exercises and research for successfully teaching the Bringing Baby Home Workshop.
- One Couple’s Workbook: Bringing Baby Home Couple’s Workbook, 250 pages. Includes insightful research, key parenting tips, guides and information, resources and interactive exercises. This is the workbook that couples receive when taking the BBH Workshop from Educators.
- Six Card Decks: These fun, interactive cards are used in the Bringing Baby Home Workshop with parents as interactive exercises. Titles include: Love Map Cards, Love Map Cards For Couples with Kids, Open-Ended Questions Cards, Father’s Cards, Expressing Needs Cards, Softened Start-up Cards.
- PowerPoint for Educators: Newly revised and updated, this PowerPoint includes the official revised presentation of the BBH workshop in its entirety. Contains over 150 slides to help you successfully organize and present all BBH topics in your own workshop. Slides are organized by chapter and include new graphics, research charts and more. Each slide includes a ‘notebox’ (seen by presenter only) for adding personalized presentation notes.
- BBH Videos: Narrated by Dr. John Gottman, the What’s Baby Saying? and Let’s Play with Baby videos are essential resources featuring authentic lab footage that focus on infant communication. Valuable films to show couples in your BBH classes!
- Organizational Resources: including marketing templates, budgeting outlines, and other tools for the administrative organization of your couples’ classes.
Before attending the training it is required that you watch a 15 minute Introductory Video that provides background on the research and development of the Bringing Baby Home Program. This video will be sent via email prior to the training.
We also recommend that you read And Baby Makes Three. Based on John Gottman’s research with new parents, this book shows couples how to avoid the pitfalls of parenthood, with exercises that will separate the “master” from the “disaster” couples and help new parents positively manage the strain that comes along with their bundle of joy.
Recent articles about BBH from the International Journal of Birth and Parent Education:
Cancellation/Refund Policy: All registrations are final.
Refund Policy: All registrations are final.
Disclaimer & Cancellation Policy: In the event, a seminar is canceled National Marriage Seminars, Inc. is only responsible for reimbursement of fees paid for the seminar with the exception of force majeure. All costs incurred for travel arrangements are the sole responsibility of the individual or entity that made those arrangements. National Marriage Seminars, Inc. reserves right to move venue location and assigned presenters originally advertised for an event with a 30-day notice to attendees. In the event a venue or presenter is changed, no reimbursements will be given. Venue changes are not to exceed 50 miles or 1 hour drive time from the original venue advertised. The individual or entity that made the arrangements to attend a National Marriage Seminars, Inc. event agrees to hold harmless National Marriage Seminars, Inc., its directors, and employees from any and all liability associated with those travel arrangements. By registering for any National Marriage Seminars, Inc. sponsored or hosted event the individual or entity agrees to these terms.
CE’s: CE’s are NOT included in the price of these workshops, however, they will be available for purchase at the event.