Treating Affairs and Trauma - Drs. Gottman
A NEW GOTTMAN SPECIALTY TRAINING!
Dr. John Gottman and Dr. Julie Gottman
May 18-20, 2017
Save $100 when you register for Treating Affairs and Trauma and Couples & Addiction Recovery by entering promo code "TRAUMA" at checkout
Drs. John and Julie Gottman have revolutionized our understanding of relationships and couples therapy. In this brand new, 3-day training, Drs. John and Julie Gottman explore the roles affairs and trauma play in wreaking havoc on a relationship, and show professionals how to transform the resulting pain into forces that can be used to help couples heal and rebuild trust.
Two of the most challenging problems professionals face when working with couples are affairs and trauma. Both rupture trust and undermine the very foundation on which committed relationships are built.
An affair rocks the couple’s world by bringing into the relationship a third party, causing a huge rift between partners that feels impossible to repair.
In a similar way, trauma acts like a metaphorical third party in the room – disrupting connection, bewildering the couple, and calling into question the very nature of reality itself.
Step into the private practice of Drs. John and Julie Gottman and watch how they work with some of the most complex relationship issues of our time.
This training will teach you the skills necessary to help couples overcome these challenges and provide you with the knowledge and tools for doing so.
THE TRAINING PROGRAM
This 3-day training includes videos of Drs. John and Julie Gottman working with actual couples in their private practice, as well as engaging presentations and discussions about Gottman Method Couples Therapy. Participants will receive a clinical training manual filled with interventions that can immediately be put into practice, plus Powerpoint slides, presentation material, and articles. All participants will receive a Certificate of Completion for this workshop, from The Gottman Institute.
Dr. Julie Gottman describes the impact of PTSD on committed relationships using real examples of trauma caused by early abandonment, childhood abuse, and military combat. She demonstrates a therapeutic approach that interweaves individual PTSD treatment with Gottman Method Couples Therapy.
Watch Paul and Shantel Patu, the couple featured in our Level 1 Clinical Training films, as they return to therapy with the Gottmans eight years later. These new films demonstrate powerful couples interventions for PTSD and trauma.
Days two and three:
Dr. John Gottman unfolds the science behind trust and betrayal and provides the tools needed to create trust and commitment in love relationships. The Gottmans describe their impactful “Atone, Attune, and Attach” model for treating affairs. This model provides clinicians with an unbiased approach that compassionately serves both partners as they struggle to rebuild a collapsed marriage.
See brand new films of the Gottmans in their clinical office engaging in intensive therapy with a military couple, a case in which the husband had an affair and suffered from PTSD following his 12 back-to-back deployments overseas.
Learn the important variations in assessment and intervention techniques that empower couples to not only rebuild their relationship, but also create immunity from future betrayals.
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from this training:
If you work with couples where there’s been an affair, or where either partner has experienced trauma, this training is for you! It is intended for professionals who want to enhance their competence in conceptualization, assessment, treatment planning, and intervention with couples where an affair and/or trauma has created pain and struggle in their relationship.
- Mental health counseling providers
- Clergy / Military Chaplains
- Students and interns
- Social Workers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Professional Counselors
- Addiction Counselors
- Other Mental Health Professionals
As a result of this training, you will learn how to:
- Detect the signs of trauma and PTSD and the impact it has on a relationship
- Identify the role trauma plays when there’s been an affair
- Assess the impact of an affair on the Sound Relationship House
- Choose to suspend your own moral judgment when extramarital affairs are revealed
- Determine where and how to begin rebuilding a new foundation of trust
- Immunize the couple’s relationship from future betrayals
As a result of the training, you will be able to:
- Tell how to help one or both partners surface and describe past trauma
- Review how to foster the couple’s transformation of trauma into greater compassion for each other with deeper insight and meaningful growth
- Discuss how to encourage atonement in the affair partner without judgment or criticism
- State how to help the betrayed partner express emotions constructively and frame his or her questions to the affair partner without triggering a traumatic response
- Demonstrate ways to help the couple process past emotional injuries leading up to the affair
- Practice how to help the affair partner listen non-defensively
- Express ways to teach the couple new conflict management skills
- Prescribe methods to help the couple create new rituals of connection
- Specify when it’s appropriate for an affair couple to restore physical intimacy in their relationship, and learn how to help them do so carefully
- Identify the role trauma plays when there’s been an affair
As this is an advanced Gottman Specialty Training, the Gottmans expect participants to have a basic understanding of Gottman terminology and interventions upon arrival. Core training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy (at least Level 1 Clinical Training) is required. Click here to find a live Level 1 Clinical Training near you.
**Optional Day 4 – Special Combination Discount – Save $100!**
Couples & Addiction Recovery is a Gottman Specialty Training for therapists, counselors, and professionals who work with couples struggling with addiction as well as couples in recovery from alcohol, drugs and/or behavioral addictions. Presented and designed by Gottman Master Trainer, Dr. Bob Navarra, in collaboration with Drs. John & Julie Gottman and the Gottman Institute.
Save $100 when you register for Treating Affairs and Trauma and Couples & Addiction Recovery. Enter promo code "TRAUMA" at checkout