Register for a 4 Day Externship, Chicago EFT Foundation Series or Hold Me Tight™ Retreats
"The most functional way to regulate emotions in love relationships is to share them." - Dr. Sue Johnson
Details and Registration
A Four Day Externship
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org regarding our payment plan option.
Learn the concepts and theory of Emotionally Focused Therapy to help restore and deepen the emotional bond between couples.
Registration Fee: $780-$850per person | Cost Includes: 4-day training, EFT Manual
- Earn 28 CE hours
Through a combination of lecture, videotape, observation of live interviews and exercises, participants will learn the basic concepts and theory of Emotionally Focused Therapy; identify the stages and steps of treatment; begin to formulate problematic cycles of interaction; and help couples end cycles of blame and disengagement so that they can restore and deepen the emotional bond between them. Sue Johnson’s second edition of The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy: Creating Connections is recommended reading for all participants. Experienced, local EFT supervisors will be available to assist small group learning and practice.
One of the premier EFT trainers will combine lecture, filmed demonstration, and experimental exercises to teach the concepts behind Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) for couples and give participants a sense of what it looks and feels like to work with couples using the framework of attachment theory.
EFT for couples is a model developed by Dr. Sue Johnson that draws from over 25 years of outcome research and translates attachment processes into precise clinical interventions
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from this training:
- Name 2 advances in the new current era of couples therapy
- Describe the attachment map of couple’s therapy process
- Describe the “within” and “between” processes of EFT
- Name the 4 “Ps” of the EFT process
- Name the 3 predominant theories that EFT is based upon
- Name the 4 attachment styles
- Describe the process of attachment distress
- Describe how EFT defines emotion
- Describe the process model of emotion as defined by Magda Arnold
- Name the 6 core emotions
- Describe how EFT clinically uses emotion to create connection
- Name the 9 steps of EFT
- Name the 3 stages of EFT
- Name the key change events in EFT
- Describe at least 3 elements of the EFT assessment process
- Recognize process assessment
- Discuss attachment assessment
- Describe how the systemic pattern (cycle) becomes THE relational problem
- Name the different structural elements/parts of the cycle
- Name the different types of cycles
- Describe 3 underlying emotions that withdrawers feel
- Describe 3 underlying emotions that pursuers feel
- Define the EFT clinical skills associated with De-escalation
- Define the EFT experiential interventions
- Describe RISSSC
- Describe the withdrawer engagement key change event
- Describe the pursuer softening key change event
- List the 6 themes of blamer softening
- Define what an Enactment is
- Describe what an Attachment injury is
Therapists working in the following field with benefit in this training
- Social Workers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Professional Counselors
- Addiction Counselors
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Hold Me Tight Couples Weekend
Hold Me Tight® is a product of over 30 years of research in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, a leader at the forefront of Couples Therapy in our generation. Research has guided the HMT workshop to offer exactly what you and your partner need to be able to explore and enhance your bond. The material facilitates the tools you need to get there, to understand yourselves and each other at the core.
Recognizing Demon Dialogues
Couples learn to identify the negative and destructive pattern they are in. We begin the process of getting to the root of the problem and figuring out what each other is really trying to say.
Finding the Raw Spots
Each partner learns to look beyond immediate, impulsive reactions to figure out what raw spots are being hit.
Revisiting a Rocky Moment
Couples establish a platform for de-escalating conflict and repairing rifts in the relationship along with building emotional safety.
Hold Me Tight Conversations
This is the heart of the program. These conversations move partners into being more accessible, emotionally responsive, and deeply engaged with each other.
Bonding Through Sex and Touch
Couples find how emotional connection creates great sex, and good sex creates a deeper emotional connection.