Details & Registration
Deepen your understanding of Gottman Method Couples Therapy and expand your strategies and interventions in your work with couples! Presented by a Senior Certified Gottman Method Trainer and Consultant.
Registration Fee: $750-1000* (payment plans available)
*Cost includes: Live Training | 500-page Clinical Manual | Certificate of Completion of Level 2 Training | Earn 20.25 CE hours available for purchase ($39.99) | Ability to be listed on the Gottman Referral Network | Qualified to continue to Level 3
This training provides continuing education hours (CEs) for Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT), Psychotherapists, Psychologists, Social Workers and other mental health professionals.
Now featuring new clinical films and interventions
- View new demonstration films from the Gottmans’ clinical office
- Refine your clinical skills and expand your strategies and interventions in your work with couples
- Learn to internalize and integrate the powerful, research-based Gottman Method Assessment and Intervention techniques.
- Gain insight as to when to use these methods and when couples therapy is contraindicated.
- Gain confidence in using the techniques
Participants will be able to:
- Assess a couple’s “Friendship Profile,” “Conflict Profile,” and “Shared Meanings Profile”
- Develop interventions that couples can use as antidotes to the “Four Horsemen”
- Find ways to help couples to soothe physiological flooding
- Apply six modes of changing the “Attack/Defend System” in a couple’s interactions
- Organize how to assist couples in establishing dialogue about their grid-locked conflicts
- Select and implement interventions to help couples deepen their “Friendship System” with rituals of connection
- Select and implement interventions to help couples create a shared system of values and meaning
- Identify and implement five different co-morbidities common to couples using Gottman Assessments and Interventions
- Describe the three qualities every therapist needs.
- Explain the basics of observation including why it’s important to recognize Emotions on the Human Face, Tension in the Voice, the Importance of Words and the use of the SPAFF coding system.
- Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House theory.
- Describe how to recognize Bids and Turning Towards.
- Explain and demonstrate how to conduct an Oral History Interview.
- Assess a couple’s “Friendship Profile,” “Conflict Profile,” and “Shared Meanings Profile”.
- Explain and demonstrate how to use the 3 profiles to choose appropriate interventions for the couple.
- Describe the use of the core assessments with couples, including the Locke-Wallace, Weiss-Cerretto, Gottman Sounds Relationship House Questionnaires, Gottman 19 Areas Checklist, EAQ, SCL-90, Detour Scales, CAGE, b-Mast, and Supplemental Assessments.
- Formulate a treatment plan and present it to the couple including using the Sound Relationship House model.
- Develop interventions that couples can use as antidotes to the “Four Horseman.”
- Help couples to physiologically soothe when flooded.
- Select and implement interventions to help deal with conflict.
- Apply different modes of changing the “Attack/Defend System” in a couple’s interaction.
- Assist couples to establish dialogue about their grid-locked conflicts.
- Select and implement interventions to help couples deepen their “Friendship System” with Rituals of Connection.
- Select and implement interventions to help couples create a shared system of values and meaning.
- Use and describe the Stress-Reducing Conversation to minimize relapse.
- Identify and formulate a plan for different co-morbidities common to couples using Gottman Method Couples Therapy Assessment and Intervention.
- Describe how to apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy to a couple who has experienced an affair
- Describe when it is appropriate and inappropriate to use Gottman Method Couples Therapy with a couple dealing with substance abuse.
- Describe the differences between situational and characterological domestic violence and when it is appropriate and inappropriate to use Gottman Method couples therapy with a couple dealing with domestic violence.
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from this training:
- Social Workers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Professional Counselors
- Addiction Counselors
- Other Mental Health Professionals
Wednesday, May 20th- Friday, May 22nd, 2020 – $850
*Seattle, WA *no discounts apply
Presented by: Don Cole, D.Min, LPC, LMFT, Clinical Director of The Gottman Institute
Wednesday, July 29th- Friday, July 31st, 2020 – $899
*San Diego, CA
Presented by Kimberly Panganiban, LMFT and Bill Bumberry, Ph.D., Master Gottman Trainer