Couples and Addiction Recovery On-Demand
Dive deep into the proven, research-based Gottman Method approach for treating couples impacted by affairs and trauma. This in-depth course will provide you, the clinician, with an unbiased roadmap to compassionately serve your clients and provide hope as they struggle to rebuild a collapsed Sound Relationship House.
NOTE: Level 1 Training is required.
This online course includes:
- More than 6 hours of video from a recent live workshop conducted by Dr. Robert Navarra
- 186-page printable PDF manual with the content, assessments, interventions, and references discussed in training videos
- 40-page printable PDF of lecture slides
- Online quiz
- Certificate of Completion from The Gottman Institute
This online course is for anyone working with couples struggling with addiction as well as couples in recovery from alcohol, drugs, and/or behavioral addictions. As this is an advanced Gottman Training, we highly recommend that learners have a basic understanding of Gottman Method Couples Therapy (at least Level 1 Training).
Couples and Addiction Recovery is a groundbreaking new training for therapists, counselors, and professionals. While current models for treating couples impacted by addiction discourage any type of relational approach in early recovery, couples need help sooner rather than later. It’s time to change how we treat couples in recovery. This online course is for anyone working with couples struggling with addiction as well as couples in recovery from alcohol, drugs, and/or behavioral addictions. It draws from the fields of addiction treatment, mental health, and couples counseling, and integrates current research findings with knowledge from clinical practice. It combines more than a decade of research by Dr. Robert Navarra with the Sound Relationship House model, developed by Drs. John and Julie Gottman. Dr. Navarra has worked in addiction recovery for over 25 years. He holds an Advanced Drug and Alcohol Certification and a national certification as a Master Addiction Counselor through the Association of Addiction Professionals (NAADAC).
This training provides interventions and tools for a relational approach to healing that addresses three different but overlapping recoveries: the person with the addictive disorder, the partner, and their relationship. You will learn a research-based approach to help couples:
- Identify addiction
- Break through denial
- Navigate the challenging road from active addiction to recovery
- Improve conflict management skills
- Learn the difference between “codependency” and “interdependency” and how to identify and set appropriate boundaries
- Develop a relationship recovery, while supporting their partner’s recovery and strengthening their own individual recovery
- Heal from the aftermath of addiction
- Move toward wellness as individuals and as a couple
- Describe and critique the differences between the Couple Recovery Development Approach and the current most common approach in treating couples impacted by addiction
- Explain the three components of the Couple Recovery Development Approach and their roles during recovery
- Incorporate concepts and interventions from the Gottman Sound Relationship House Theory to help couples manage conflict
- Explain the impact of addiction and recovery processes on the couple relationship
- Analyze and differentiate feelings and behaviors associated with codependency and interdependency
- Explain the neurobiology of addiction and the impact it can have on individuals and couples
- Differentiate between mild, moderate, and high risks of problematic substance use and compulsive behaviors using assessment techniques
- Apply therapeutic techniques to help break through denial
- Apply interventions for helping couples manage conflict during addiction recovery
- Recognize opportunities to utilize Recovery Card Map decks to facilitate couple recovery
Robert Navarra, Psy.D.
Robert Navarra, Psy.D., M.F.T., M.A.C., is an author, researcher, and Master Certified Gottman Therapist, Consultant, Speaker and Trainer. He has worked in the addiction recovery field for over 25 years. He holds an Advanced Drug and Alcohol Certification and a national certification as a Master Addiction Counselor (MAC) and a Recovery to Practice (RTP) certification, both awarded by the National Association of Addiction Professionals (NAADAC). Dr. Navarra is a Research Scientist with the Gottman Institute, where he is collaborating with Drs. John and Julie Gottman on research on couple recovery. Additionally, he is a Senior Research Fellow at Mental Research Institute in Palo Alto, California where he co-founded the Center for Couples in Recovery and developed the Couples Recovery Development Approach (CRDA). Additionally, Dr. Navarra is a Lecturer at Santa Clara University where he teaches graduate and professional development classes on addiction and in Gottman Method Couples Therapy. This course was created in collaboration with John Gottman, Ph.D. and Julie Gottman, Ph.D. and The Gottman Institute
Disclaimer, Refund, Policy Cancellation Policy Agreement*
Refund, Disclaimer & Cancellation Policy: ALL SALES ARE FINAL. In the event a seminar is canceled National Marriage Seminars, Inc. is only responsible for reimbursement of fees paid for the seminar with the exception of force majeure. All costs incurred for travel arrangements are the sole responsibility of the individual or entity that made those arrangements. National Marriage Seminars, Inc. reserves the right to move venue location and assigned presenters originally advertised for an event with a 30-day notice to attendees. In the event a venue or presenter is changed, no reimbursements will be given. Venue changes are not to exceed 50 miles or 1 hour drive time from the original venue advertised. The individual or entity that made the arrangements to attend a National Marriage Seminars, Inc. event agrees to hold harmless National Marriage Seminars, Inc., its directors, and employees from any and all liability associated with those travel arrangements. By registering for any National Marriage Seminars, Inc. sponsored or hosted event the individual or entity agrees to these terms. National Marriage Seminars has the right to move this training to an on-demand format based on COVID-19 recommendations with city and CDC guidelines during a pandemic or natural disaster.
CE’s: CE’s are NOT included in the price of these workshops, however, they will be available for purchase at the event.
Grievance Policy: It is the mission of National Marriage Seminars of America to find presenters who serve as a gateway to enhance clinical skills and to produce and distribute their work with integrity. We also believe in creating a learning environment that respects the diversity our attendees bring to these events. If you are dissatisfied with your experience, please email us at email@example.com or contact us via phone at 813-960-0001 to further discuss your concerns.