6 Week Online Course
Sex addiction as a problem has forty decades of research to help us understand the problem. Not only has our clinical awareness grown, but the problem itself is constantly mutating in that digitalized media has increased availability and options on an unprecedented scale. A problem which used to be quite focused in age now spans the life span from childhood to the elderly. Each presentation is designed for therapists to acquire skills and comfort when cultural change walks in the door. At the same time resources available to therapists have catalyzed a whole new level of thinking about how to approach our nation’s number one health problem: addiction. In all of the addictions, sex has been the most difficult to talk about. However, no longer can any therapist not know the basics of an illness that is changing our culture. Concrete tools, strategies, resources and assessments will be explored to help deal with the inevitable patient.
- 2 hours per session, 6 sessions, total 12 CEUs
- 120 minute lecture with Dr. Carnes and video clips from existing DVDs – during some of the course sessions.
- Homework – take home exercises or video clips to watch after each session
- To present concrete, validated ways to assess for sex addiction in a world which is transforming sexual behaviors through digitalized formats.
- To clarify common underlying patterns that drive the brain’s rewards centers into obsession and self destruction.
- To present the common trajectories involved as patients work their way through profound challenges and how therapist can anticipate what is needed including a safety net.
- Examining different models of practice management which offer addicts more support and integration of new tool sets.
- To integrate evolving development in attachment, family, and brain research with a focus on the impact of the internet and digitalized media.
- Underlining that multiple addictions are the rule rather than the exception, and it is therapist who helps connect the dots about how they work together. The patient (and some professionals will see them as detached and separate, but they are not.
- Working with sex addiction clients and their families is extremely intense but also very rewarding. The key ability is for the therapist to remain in a comfort zone so they keep their own focus and health.
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from this training:
- Social Workers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Professional Counselors
- Addiction Counselors
- Other Mental Health Professionals